Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hydration Issues

-Since I HATE being told something, and not understanding what it really does to my body, I will go into the science of what it does to the body- :)

One of my biggest issues is what to hydrate with. In the beginning, I started just drinking gatorades and life waters and such. However, I often still did not feel hydrated. As high blood pressure runs in my family, and for those of you that don't know, high sodium intake can increase blood pressure. I would go to yoga, get nausiated during class, and for a long time couldn't figure out why.

I spent much time pondering what in my diet could be causing such things. I started out thinking about my hydration. Although a SoBe Life Water only had 25g of sodium per serving (with 2.5 servings in the bottle, that's about 62.5g per bottle), I was also consuming about 3 bottles per day. The idea was that perhaps all the sodium intake was increasing my blood pressure and perhaps causing the nausea.

So I switched to just water. However, it seems like one has to drink a TON of it, to keep your mouth wet during yoga.

I've tried coconut water before, but didn't really dig the taste. And I'll admit, it is something to get used to. But for those who are new to yoga or want to try something new that WILL absolutely hydrate your body with minimal intake. It also helps in preventing and relieving urinary problems, helps in breaking up kidney and bladder stones. Coconut water is an antibacterial, which aids in flushing the liver and helps in controlling vomiting! Regularly drinking coconut water helps with boosting the metabolism, reducing stress, nervous and emotional imbalances.

Coconut water is considered nature's sports drink and is better for hydrating the body due to its high potassium, no fat, little sugar, no sodium, little calories but very high in antioxidants. To give you an idea, here's some stats on it:
  • 1 bottle of coconut water has 569 mg of potassium which is more than a banana and would take 15 sports drinks to equal.
  • Rehydrates faster than water, so powerful some countries use it in place for medical saline in hospitals.
  • Contains more calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus than sports drinks.
  • Lower acidity than a sports drink which helps with burping and flatulence.
Now, I am obviously not trying to get you to buy anything! :) However, I just know that I like to have my options laid out and why something is obviously the best choice. I am all about getting the job done, and if I can consume less and have the same effect... I will pick that.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you buy your coconut water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get it at Huckleberry's... I know I've seen it occasionally at Rosauers. But the yoga studio that I go to always sells LARGE containers of it for only $5!

    ReplyDelete