Tuesday, August 10, 2010

10 Tips from a Non-Runner

I hate running. It's boring and whatever. It's whatever to me. Anyway, I can appreciate this about running: it does take discipline and disciplined breathing- like yoga!

1. Just do it. If you want to start running, just go. Do a little at a time.
2. Breathe. Learn your breathing pattern and quick. (For me, I always do 3 steps in, 3 steps out to keep it nice and slow)
3. Good shoes. Invest in some good running shoes. Not just trainers. Running shoes are made to withstand the impact of your body weight as well as cushion the impact so your back and legs don't take as much of the impact... making it so your body doesn't hurt (as much) the next day or days after.
4. Stretch!
5. If something doesn't feel right, change it. For example, I can't carry water, I have to run slow, and if I listen to music it has to be something slow or classical. It's all that works for me...
6. Try to keep running. It takes more energy to stop and re-start again than it does to keep running.
7. Endurance over speed, at first.
8. Dress 10 degrees hotter than it actually is outside.
9. Running on a treadmill is completely different than running outside. Try both.
10. Forget what you look like.

As someone who just wants to be athletically fit, and I'm not training for anything specific (at this point :)  Ha!...) those are my tips. AND if there is ever a zombie out break, I'll be ready! Rule #1: Cardio.

No comments:

Post a Comment