Wednesday, April 27, 2011

New Eating Disorders: Are They For Real?

This has GOT to be a joke.

I'm sorry but if chosing an apple over a muffin-thingy (it looks like a hamburger donut... I can't really tell what that chick is holding) is wrong... Mark me as dead wrong.
WTF? If you haven't read this yet, well, friends... Almost all of you that I know, directly involved in the fitness or yoga or even those of you I know that are committed to leading a healthy life, are going to be surprised. This article goes into new eating disorders and one particularly scratched my buzzer.

See below taken directly from the article listed above "New Eating Disorders: Are They For Real?" By Lisa Collier Cool

  • What is orthorexia? Identified in 1997 by Colorado physician Steven Bratman, MD, orthorexia is Latin for “correct eating.” Here, too, the focus isn’t on losing weight. Instead, sufferers increasingly restrict their diets to foods they consider pure, natural and healthful. Some researchers say that orthorexia may combine a touch of obsessive compulsive disorder with anxiety and warn that severely limited “healthy” diets may be a stepping stone to anorexia nervosa, the most severe - and potentially life-threatening - eating disorder.
Really. I find it only slightly humorous (sarcasm) that because 3/4 of our population is overweight or obese that suddenly doctors are basically saying that Clean Eaters are now the odd-ball's out. And because that is true, the Clean Eaters have something wrong with them.

  • Orthorexics: Those affected may start by eliminating processed foods, anything with artificial colorings or flavorings as well as foods that have come into contact with pesticides. Beyond that, orthorexics may also shun caffeine, alcohol, sugar, salt, wheat and dairy foods. Some limit themselves to raw foods.
Again, really. Is elminiating foods really that bad? No. It's just diet preference.

  • Treating Orthorexia: Cognitive behavior therapy designed to change obsessive thought patterns regarding food is usually recommended.
I'm sure we've gathered enough in this article from just these 3 paragraphs; I feel like I'm a moving target now. Good thing I'm a fast moving target.
 
Side Note: 30 Day Yoga Challenge is going awesome. I can feel the metabolic shift into Ketosis happening and my brain suddenly feels clear, I have energy even when I didn't sleep much and even on Day 3 I feel like I could do this forever. I feel like I look tighter already but my muscles are smaller (to be expected when your muscles lack glycogen) and will be excited to start lifting again next week.

7 comments:

  1. Articles like this really irritate me too.

    Anything to the extreme probably has something wrong with it - I can see that someone making life very difficult for themselves by how they choose to eat has something going on. But the the problem isn't the diet, it's the making life difficult for themselves. Doesn't matter what foods they're eating (or not eating), if life is difficult and centred around food, there's something wrong.

    But the article bothers me thanks to the oversimplification of things. Because some people don't think, so they believe everything they read, or see... and might even develop a fear of apples!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh,wow......
    wonder what the author of that article would think of MY nutrition plan?????
    id be sent to the loony bin for therapy!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Melissa! I'm sure all of us figure competitors now have eating disorders. :P Although, it seems if you're passionate about anything now and are willing to go the distance for it then we're obsessive (to the general public).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on the one hand, but I also know that healthy eating CAN become an obsession to those already prone to it(recovered anorexics ect) and it can be come like an eating disorder.

    Charlotte of the Great Fitness Experiment(probably my favorite blog of all time) has chronicled her battle with orthorexia. She explains it much better than I can. You can search her site for all her posts about it. BTW, she's freaking hilarious!

    -Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That's really ridiculous. I've never heard of such a thing. They just have to have a name for everything and everyone must be diagnosed with something because God forbid we are just normal people, leading a healthy, toxin free lifestyle. Give me a break!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the most ridiculous article I have ever read! They do realize that processed foods, refined sugars, and artificial colorings are modern things that weren't around back in the day, right? Our body doesn't NEED them. They're just looking for a way to create hype.

    Good work on the 30 day challenge! My good friend finished her Bikram yoga teacher training this past December. It's intense from what she's told me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exactly how I feel Liz!

    I'll be doing Teacher Training in the fall so I have to put this ground work in. ;)

    ReplyDelete