Tuesday, March 15, 2011

No Longer Overtraining

Wow. My overall energy has completely improved and my workouts no longer feel stale. And after doing research on Overtraining Syndrome, it is a wonder it took me so long to realize it. After all, it really is about balance so performance never plateaus.

Another awesome blogger at DreamingOfArnold just posted about her own possible over training (I am borrowing the post idea, just don't want to take credit!), and I thought it would be a good time to attest that same statement as an athlete who is feeling my body come out of it. We all mentally lose desire in our physical activities at times, and if you feel the following symptoms coming on it may be time to consider overtraining.
Common Warning Signs and Symptoms of Overtraining Syndrome (found at sportsmedicine.about.com)
  • Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
  • Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
  • Pain in muscles and joints
  • Sudden drop in performance
  • Insomnia
  • Headaches
  • Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
  • Decrease in training capacity / intensity
  • Moodiness and irritability
  • Depression
  • Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
  • Decreased appetite
  • Increased incidence of injuries.
  • A compulsive need to exercise
The compulsive need to exercise and depression is how I knew I was overtraining, amongst having almost every other symptom. I even admitted to Handsome just last week that I was feeling depressed and couldn't figure out why!  I've booted my fasted morning cardio for now, so I can focus all my training abilities to my afternoon. Down to only 2 days of lifting, and back to more cardio & conditioning-which I know I've already mentioned.

And no joke, changing my diet has done everything! Why did I ever really think I should eat very little carbs all the time?! Especially when eating fruit, yogurt, and double fiber english muffins were working for me months ago?! (Is my excitement being conveyed adequately???) AND! I'm no longer forcing myself into activities I hate... *ahem.cycling.ahem*   The diet really has changed everything. Almost no desire to cheat and I no longer feel bad when I only get in 3 miles of running. HELLO?! I couldn't even RUN a year ago!!

Today my workout was:
3 miles running around our property with the dogs. Little Zekey was able to keep up for the mile I ran him. Molly, however, about pulled my arm off. Especially when she saw horses for the first time! That was a shoulder workout in and of itself! That girl is better than a treadmill, she MAKES me run faster.
Along 18 mins BodyRock.tv's Only Girl In the World Challenge.

Diet: 1513 Calories, 111g Protein, 183g Carbs, 40g Fat along with 120 oz water.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the plug and it is always a joy to read your blog. I am glad to know I am not the only one who feels this way so close to competition. I will pray you and I "git r don" and are able to compete with the best bodies imaginable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overtraining is a scary thing. It's hard for us gym rats to realize that more is not always better! Good for you for taking a step back to reflect and realize you can attain more by doing things you enjoy (and a little less of it!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime DoA! I can't take credit for something that's not mine! :)

    Ginger- It really is scary, and not only scary but frustrating. Because the thing that you love the most, becomes what you dread the most. Not where any athlete needs to be!

    ReplyDelete